04 February 2010

William Wegman Pairing at 20x200


'The Architects'

"...I care nothing about golf, so when I came across a postcard with several figures on a lawn, I had to strain to notice that they were watching golf. I imagined four of the figures as architects. And that gave me the idea. I found cards of four separate buildings, including Ronchamp, that were equivalent in size and position. The horizon lines matched and I was able to begin annexing them with watercolor, finally giving the golf audience something to look at. I first began to alter my own photographic works in the mid-seventies. Since then, I have become increasingly interested in the resurrection and relocation of found images. Postcards are an excellent repository of these, and I have been using them in my work since 1995. With painted additions I can connect disparate properties and places and give them new life, create a new space."


'About 4:30'

"It was not uncommon for Batty to fall asleep while posing. In this case, she stayed awake."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...